Thursday, April 1, 2010

a dialogue with the God of the vulnerable.

"How absurd and demanding, beautiful and fragile it is to be vulnerable to life."
-Kent Annan, Following Jesus Through the Eye of the Needle

It's kind of ridiculous actually, how much this has been a theme in my life recently. Clearly I am too dense for God to be able to get anything through to me the first time (I'm sorry Abba, I'm a slow learner).

I remember going to UM a few weeks ago... the message had to do with being humble and open, which is something I already knew I was struggling with. Then during worship we sang this amazing song, (which, to my dismay, I cannot seem to find for the life of me...) and I remember God straight-up telling me: You don't trust me.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house there are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. (John 14:1)

Ouch, God, that one hit home.

But if you do trust me, you can be bold and confident in that trust. I will provide for you.
And I will do whatever you ask in my name so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask for anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:13-14)

Okay, Abba, thank you. Help me to learn to trust you. Teach me!

If you really love me like you say you do, then you will obey me, and I will uphold my promise and draw near to you without fail. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. (John 14:21) And that's a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment